Installing NextStep OS (OpenStep) in VirtualBox

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. Jerry Coggins says:

Nice job. I got through everything fine until running unarchive on the tar file. That didn’t seem to work. Any ideas?

• Jason says:

I’m not 100% sure why it wouldn’t work. In all honestly I wrote this quite a while ago so I haven’t done it myself in a while. I do remember that there wasn’t a progress bar during that extraction so I just let it go and eventually it finished. I didn’t think it was doing anything when after quite a while it finished and the extracted file showed up. Are you getting an error message or does it look like nothing’s happening? If it’s the later, I’d just let it sit for a while and see if that works. I don’t remember how long it took for me, but I remember it was longer than it should have been.

2. Eric Knudstrup says:

Wondering why NAT won’t work? Thinking I’d like to try to get a simple DHCP client to compile on it.

3. Velek says:

Is there a way to get the files out of the packages? I’d like to look at the example application source files and I can’t get networking up. Says netinfod is looking for its parent and won’t even finish booting.

4. Not sure I am stating the obvious here: AFAIK OpenStep doesn’t support DHCP. At least I remember always using static IP addresses. Maybe that is also the reason why NAT won’t work?

5. Lionel says:

Anyone hitting this error after selecting the device drivers (twice):

Load of /etc/mach_init. errno2, trying /etc/init
    Load of /etc/init failed, errno 2

6. Thomas Taylor says:

I am using Virtual Box.
    I had to setup the two drives as Primary Master and Secondary Master for it to work.

7. Fergus Hammond says:

Thanks for these instructions! Very useful and it means that I won’t go out and try to buy a real NeXT!

The instructions worked until I got to the patch installation. Toward the end of the installation, I get an error that says “You don’t have permission to install some of the files in OS42MachUserPatch4.pkg.pkg (see the Log view).”

Any suggestions?