Soft Modding a PS2 Slim in 2018: First Impressions

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Warren says:

Can u sell me a modded card?

• Jason says:

I can’t, but you can buy them on eBay for about $9

• Ali says:

Would a modded ps3 be a better choice to play those ps1/ps2 games then? On a TV.

• Jason says:

I’m going to say yes. Loading ISOs on to the PS2 via USB took forever. It was a miserable experience. Over the network is a bit better but still not great. With a modded PS3 you can put the ISOs directly on the internal hard drive so it’s really fast. If you have a good PC you can also use the excellent PCSX2 emulator. That will give you HD upscaling and a lot of other features that are really nice to have. It’s multi-platform as well.

• Unknown Stranger Alien says:

But then, compatibility is not 100%. E.g Try playing Seaman 1 or 2. They don’t work neither on the emulator, nor on PS2 Classics on PS3/PS4.

• Jason says:

No emulator is ever going to be 100%. Unless you’re using real games on real hardware, you’ll run in to issues here and there. That’s not what this article (or a hacked PS3) is about though.

• Unknown Stranger Alien says:

Yeah Jason but what I meant is that there’s still a reason to buy a PS2 and hack it, because you can still run games via OPL network or HD (in case of fat model or HD-moddable PS2 slim) that you can’t currently via PS2 classics (on PS3/PS4) or PCSX2 (which sadly has been around for ages but still far from 100%).
            I do have a hacked PS2 and PS3 AND a gaming PC top-of-the-line but still I went and bought a PS2 to play games like Seaman 1/2 (hoping they work!!! still to try). Which is why I found your tutorial (but I bought it hacked so I ended up not using it).

Anyway great site and content, keep it up!

• Jason says:

Thanks! 👍🏻

2. Ali says:

Would a modded ps3 be a better choice for playing ps1/ps2 isos then? Using component on a crt tv.