Soft Modding a PS2 Slim in 2018: No Mod Chip Required

You may also like...

18 Responses

1. Stefano says:

Thank you Jason, this was the clearest guide I found on how to mod the PS2. I still don’t get the point of booting cogswap on the modified DVD instead of booting directly uLoadELF: I tried last year to make a swapdisc with uLaunchELF and I finally had it working following your guide. Instead of booting to cogswap I booted to uLE and then I followed your guide successfully.
    Thank you very much!

2. Joel Thomson says:

Can I use any other disk like the blue ps2 game (CD ps2 games)
    Because I do not have a “legal” ps1 game,

3. Shree says:

I do have a DVD PS2 game, but I don’t have a Blue PS2 game or a PS1 game. What should I do?

• Jason says:

You’re going to need a legal version of one of those two things (PS1 or blue PS2). I’d either find a used PS game at a cheap local game store or just jump on eBay and buy a pre-made modded PS2 memory card for $8-10 that’s already done for you. If you don’t have a PS1/blue PS2 game already, buying the car might be the cheapest route unless you can borrow or get for $1 or so a cheap PS1 game.

4. John says:

Aren’t like all CD-R like 700 mb? I can’t fit the contents of uLaunchELF onto it. :/

5. zio says:

does this work for PAL consoles as well?

6. Carl says:

Is it normal that the archive ps2.rar only has Apache3 inside it? I would love this 🙂

7. Carl says:

Is it normal that the archive ps2.rar only have Apache3 inside it?

8. Kyle says:

Does this work for the fat ps2? Or does it have to be slim?

9. Michael says:

Hi, thank you so much for this guide.

I was wondering, do you think that work als well on a PS3 Fat with Emotion Engine?

Cheers

10. David says:

I picked up a ps2 slim for $10 from a goodwill yesterday, and this tutorial really helped me, can’t wait to play all the games I used to as a kid on my dad’s old fat ps2. Great work!

11. Hello! Does this work on model SCPH-90006? Also, I can’t find the date code at the back of my PS2, but there’s a sticker attached to it that says that it is modified on 12-05-08. I think that it was modified right away after it was bought. Hope you can help me, thanks!

12. Somsomgamer says: