Soft Modding a PS2 Slim in 2018: No Mod Chip Required

You may also like...

26 Responses

1. Stefano says:

Thank you Jason, this was the clearest guide I found on how to mod the PS2. I still don’t get the point of booting cogswap on the modified DVD instead of booting directly uLoadELF: I tried last year to make a swapdisc with uLaunchELF and I finally had it working following your guide. Instead of booting to cogswap I booted to uLE and then I followed your guide successfully.
    Thank you very much!

2. Joel Thomson says:

Can I use any other disk like the blue ps2 game (CD ps2 games)
    Because I do not have a “legal” ps1 game,

3. Shree says:

I do have a DVD PS2 game, but I don’t have a Blue PS2 game or a PS1 game. What should I do?

• Jason says:

You’re going to need a legal version of one of those two things (PS1 or blue PS2). I’d either find a used PS game at a cheap local game store or just jump on eBay and buy a pre-made modded PS2 memory card for $8-10 that’s already done for you. If you don’t have a PS1/blue PS2 game already, buying the car might be the cheapest route unless you can borrow or get for $1 or so a cheap PS1 game.

4. John says:

Aren’t like all CD-R like 700 mb? I can’t fit the contents of uLaunchELF onto it. :/

5. zio says:

does this work for PAL consoles as well?

6. Carl says:

Is it normal that the archive ps2.rar only has Apache3 inside it? I would love this 🙂

7. Carl says:

Is it normal that the archive ps2.rar only have Apache3 inside it?

8. Kyle says:

Does this work for the fat ps2? Or does it have to be slim?

9. Michael says:

Hi, thank you so much for this guide.

I was wondering, do you think that work als well on a PS3 Fat with Emotion Engine?

Cheers

10. David says:

I picked up a ps2 slim for $10 from a goodwill yesterday, and this tutorial really helped me, can’t wait to play all the games I used to as a kid on my dad’s old fat ps2. Great work!

11. Hello! Does this work on model SCPH-90006? Also, I can’t find the date code at the back of my PS2, but there’s a sticker attached to it that says that it is modified on 12-05-08. I think that it was modified right away after it was bought. Hope you can help me, thanks!

12. Somsomgamer says:

Not reading written discs

13. John Orlando says:

ISO rips to 8gb. How do you burn that? I tried it truncated and it didn’t work

14. om33g44 says:

Hi,

Can confirm this works on PS2 Slim SCPH-77004 (PAL)

Your guide was a great help. I tried this with a lot of old PS2 games, and i was only able to get it to work with a copy of Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (SLES_53544). I got it to work on my 2nd or 3rd try with that game.

There was only one thing different about that game to the others. I did a bit of digging around the internet to try and find more videos of people successfully pulling this off. One user mentioned that the games boot file should have an LBA of 1,000,000 or more for this to work (Pro Evo 5 LBA is 1,086,922). The only game I tried before Pro Evo 5 that had an LBA higher than 1,000,000 was Killzone, which had an LBA of 2,250,484. I couldn’t get it to work with Killzone though (maybe LBA was too high?).

I honestly don’t know if this makes a differnece or not, but i hope it helps anyone trying to get this to work.

Thanks for your help Jason, great guide btw!

15. om33g44 says:

Hi Jason,

First of all, thanks for putting this guide together! I managed to get this to work on a SCPH-77004 PAL model PS2 Slim.

I just wanted to share something i found that another forum user somewhere said that I think helped (sorry, forgot the source). I dont fully understand the technical side behind all of this so I hope it makes sense:

According to this source, the boot file of the ps2 game that you use should have an LBA of around 1,000,000. I tried many games before i found one that worked, and it just happened to have an LBA of around 1,000,000 (The game was Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, LBA of around 1,080,000). I checked all of the games that I had been trying and failing with, and they all had LBAs in the 100s or 1000s. One of the games (Killzone) had an LBA of almost 3,000,000, but I couldnt get it to work either (maybe too high?)

I dont fully understand the technical terms behind doing all of this, so it may just have been coincidence. I hope it may help any one else trying to do this.

Thanks again Jason!

16. Ronnie Hall says:

Excellent guide. Thank you so much!

17. Josh says:

I’m missing the noob.rar file from your archive, found the rest elsewhere but cant find this one.

18. Ayaz Surti says:

Hii, i have sony playstation 2 slim silver SCPH-90004 so how can i moded like u show inside u did cover button for boot. Where is in this model
    And how can i burn DVD for this sony ps2 games supportable Please Help !!!

19. Shiner says:

Hello Jason,thanks for taking the time to make this guide and since its been a while since you made i doubt you are still active here right?However if you see this i have a question.I don’t a SCUS_(X) file instead i have a SLES_(X) why is that and will it still work?Thanks in advance. <3